Monday, March 19, 2007

George Schire speaks at Jim Melby's memorial

Wanted all of you to know that I attended the memorial service for our friend Jim Melby. I was asked by his daughter Shelly to say a few words, and have to say it was one of the few times in my life that I was at a loss for words.

The church was packed to the rafters....or in wrestling terms, "Sold Out!" :) I was told the church holds 350 people, and not a space in it was empty...and there were folks standing in the back as well.

I had talked to Jim on the Thursday before he passed away. We had set up a time to get together on Saturday morning the 17th at 10:00am. Ironcially, that was the time I was saying goodbye to him at the service.

I reminded all those present that in every wrestling program over the years that Jim and I collected, were the words, "Program Subject to Change". Then I said...with Jim "no showing" today for our arranged meeting, those words are ringing true. Some laughter was heard from those who understood my comments.

All in all, Jim would have been pleased to know that there were a lot of people who will miss him. I know I will! We were friends since February 1969...and another bit of irony, the very first time I met Jim was on February 17, 1969. How weird is that?

Hope all you are doing well, and I am looking forward to seeing all of you in April.

PLEASE, no more "Program Subject to Change" from anyone!

Take care and God Bless!
George Schire